Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Have you read ... ?

Since I've been slow to finish books lately (still working on Leckie's memoir, as well as Private Life by Jane Smiley), I thought I'd occasionally glance at my bookshelf and mention a good read. So...

Have you read Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald? I think it's the heat and humidity we're experiencing in NY right now that brought my eyes to this one. He captures heat so well [who can forget the (literally) steamy apartment scene in The Great Gatsby?]. Like most of his books -- at least, the ones I've read -- this isn't exactly upbeat, but still I liked the characters, though sometimes I wanted to slap them. The story is engaging, so beautifully written, and is subtly autobiographical. You should pick it up if you haven't read it yet.

1 comment:

  1. I went through an F. Scott Fitzgerald phase in high school. Maybe I should re-read some of my favorites. I can hardly remember them now.

    ReplyDelete